Sunday, July 26, 2009

diamond in the rough

YOGA SUTRA 11.6

false identity occurs when we identify with the tools of perception instead of the true Self

The yoga sutras of Patanjali is the foundational text of yoga.

It succinctly outlines the art and science of traditional Yoga meditation for Self-Realization. It is a process of systematically encountering, examining, and transcending each of the various gross and subtle levels of false identity in the mind field, until the jewel of the true Self comes shining through. (courtesy of swamiji.com)

I love the yoga sutras. I love learning about them and deepening my understanding, so I was super excited to come across sutra 11.6 in my latest copy of yoga journal. I wanted to share it with you because I think we could all use a reminder of this one every once and awhile!

What sutra 11.6 means is that we grow our ego when we mistake the mind or body or outside influences and emotions for our true Self. We get caught up identifying ourselves by our looks, job status, financial security, houses, friends, cars, etc. and that's not who we are. Our bodies are borrowed ones and our true, authentic Self goes so much deeper then where we are willing to look.

But here's why I heart yoga - one of the key principles is that we are perfect the way we are. Let me repeat - PERFECT THE WAY WE ARE.

Yoga Journal goes on the explain our practice as a cleaning process. Through our yoga we polish the gem of the authentic Self that is inside us it can shine as it's meant to and we're meant to:

by living fully in the present moment and knowing that what we hold inside of ourselves far surpasses anything the material world can offer us


image: Oantann



No comments:

Post a Comment