Friday, July 31, 2009

the highs and lows of self esteem

Something I often see people struggle with (whether anxious or not!) is self esteem. The dreaded 's' word that we've all come into battle with at some point in our lives. And unfortunately its way too often a struggle with low self esteem.

So what's a girl (or guy!) to do? When I was at my most anxious I didn't suffer from low self esteem, I suffered with NO self esteem. Always one to hide in the back, I guess I never realized how much I beat myself up. I never thought anything was wrong with the negative messages I gave myself everyday. But I would never talk to a friend the way I talked to myself...it did nothing but make me feel worse. So those messages and thoughts had to go! I began to surround myself with positive energy and activities, commit to goals, indulge in spoiling myself every now and then and gave myself kudos for even the smallest step I took in the right direction on my journey. It took forever to build that esteem back up, but I was lucky to have friends and family (and myself!) to pump me up when I hit rock bottom. What's one thing you can do today to pump up YOUR esteem?

1) Journal all of your accomplishments for that day and DON'T leave any out-no matter how great or small you believe them to be

2) Pick your favorite feature and play it up. Whether its your hair, eyes, smile-rock it with pride!

3) Volunteer for a cause close to your heart

4) Offer to help out a friend or family member in need.

5) Treat yourself to a movie, your favorite take out, or a night out with friends just because! Celebrate yourself.

6) Give a compliment to someone, flash a smile to a stranger, hold the door for the person behind you-don't take for granted how fabulous doing things for others makes you feel. Raise their self esteem as you raise yours! I'm all about more bang for your buck!

No comments:

Post a Comment