Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Currently Loving This: Quote

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them"
- George Bernard Shaw

I thought this quote was really interesting. I can't even remember how many times I avoided something because of my anxiety...

  • I can't go out tonight because my stomach has been upset all day and going out might make it worse
  • I can't drive to work today because I may have a panic attack
  • I can't go to the mall with my friends because my anxiety might make me feel sick and then I'd have to make everyone leave and I'd be embarrassed
  • I can't let my husband take me out to a restaurant as a surprise because what if he picks one that has food that upsets my stomach and then I can't eat and I'll be ill

ETC, ETC, ETC...

It wasn't so obvious then, but all I was doing was allowing myself to be a victim of my anxiety. I let it rule my life. If I even felt the twinge of a stomach pain I launched myself into a panic and hid under the covers "just in case." I was so scared of having a panic attack in public or having someone 'find out' that I had anxiety that I eliminated that fear by completely shutting myself off from my life.

Don't become a victim. Don't let anxiety or circumstances control your actions and thoughts. I spent too long blaming my anxiety for my unhappiness and frustration with things. Anxiety and circumstances aren't out of your control. Having a bad day? Turn it around! Take out a piece of paper and write down everything you're thankful for or recall a memory of you having the time of your life and pull that happiness into the present moment. Feel in a funk? Journal about things bothering you and come up with some action plans to turn the situations around. Stressed about the economy and financial stability? Use this as an opportunity to take control of your finances and get creative. Have date nights in and rent fun movies, throw pot luck parties with your friends... or look for new and innovative ways to boost your bank account. Arts and crafts your thing? Start creating some things and sell them to friends and family or local boutiques. Or look into becoming a party rep for something like Pampered Chef or Party Lite.

Next time you're unhappy, don't look for something or someone to blame. Use your energy in a positive way and instead of waiting for things to happen, start to make them happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment