Thursday, March 12, 2009

Don't Take It Personally

I've been trying to practice the art of being less affected by people and not taking things personally. And while this sounds nice in theory, it's actually a lot harder than I thought it would be. I've recently come across some (what I believe to be) unprofessional behavior and I'm trying very hard to brush it off. I do subscribe to the notion that everyone should treat people with respect and everyone should be courteous and kind, but let's face it, that's just not always reality. So as I sit and find it hard to resist pondering how I went 'wrong' and what I did to deserve such treatment, I'm constantly having to shake my head (literally trying to shake the bad thoughts out!) and stop myself from indulging in this pity party.

Yes, I'm annoyed. Yes, my expectations got the best of me. But no, I don't have to let this affect me to the point of upsetting me. I gave myself ample time to be angry and now it's time to pass this hurdle and move on to bigger and better things. Because if I let this person get under my skin, I'm not hurting anyone but myself. Being overly affected, concerned or obsessed with something that's out of your control really only hurts you. And you deserve so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment