Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Check Another Thing Off The List

Remember my post about new year goals? Well, I'm excited to say I will be crossing another goal off my list! This past weekend I booked a trip to Europe. One of my big goals this year was to visit another country and now I'll be hitting three. A mere year and a half ago I never would have even attempted to think about stepping this far outside my comfort zone. Setting goals is a great way to see how far you've come when working through anxiety.

Whether your goal is climbing mt. Everest, getting through a big work presentation or driving to the nearby store without feeling anxious - celebrate every step and try to do something every day to take you a little closer to accomplishing this goal.

Use your goals as motivation. You can't go from zero to sixty. As you work on enhancing your coping skills and working through panic attacks and anxious episodes, know that your goals await you in the future. I definitely didn't wake up thinking traveling was an exciting adventure- I worked myself up to it. Every time you use your breath to bring you back to a state of calmness, every time you complete even one yoga pose to connect your mind and body, every time you flip a negative thought to a positive thought you're working towards those goals! Never lose sight of what you want.

So revisit that goal list... hang it on your refrigerator, post it on your bedroom door... define what you want - and go after it!

No comments:

Post a Comment