Sunday, October 11, 2009

meditation reflections

It's no secret that meditating with an anxious mind is a tough task. I used to read all about the benefits and be amazed by the stories I would hear and the breakthroughs people would claim to have while logging in time on their meditation cushions. I always used to want to try, but found myself unmotivated and gave up before I even gave it a try.

Since yoga become a regular practice in my life and my mind has calmed down quite a bit I find meditation easier, but I still have lifetimes to go. I look for inspiration on meditating from anywhere I can find it, including books (like the one I'm reading and currently loving), blogs and other yoga teachers. Every source I've turned to has offered insightful info, but you know what I found they all have in common? While there are similarities, a lot of people have tuned into meditation as a very personal experience and each one took different paths to find their ways. This book I'm reading on running (5k is in 5 weeks!) Shares the authors experience with using running as a means to meditate, tapping deeper and deeper into himself with each mile. Another teacher uses a cushion, soft music, incense, and anything else she can to wake up her senses before starting her practice and another person I read about used multiple retreats to get where he wanted to be with his meditation.

Having dedicated this month to meditation I asked a wonderful and amazing yoga teacher to share her insights and experience with meditation - it'll be up soon! Keep a lookout because you don't want to miss this!

and I've started playing more with what works for me. I'm very quick to get frustrated and I tend to hold on intensely to feelings and emotions (hello guilt and anger from 6 months ago!). That clouds my mind immensely. And because I know myself very well, a bored mind for me is the worst. I can't do anything productive if I haven't gotten mu yoga in, or a run or a spin class...even a walk with my pup. So I try to meditate after I've worked out my body because for me it works out the stress in my mind also.

If you've meditated, I'd love to hear your experiences!

2 comments:

  1. I've been inspired to try meditating but have been avoiding it because I find it so difficult with my anxiety. My mind just jumps and I soon forget what I sat down to do in the first place. I certainly don't have any answers, but what I'm trying to learn is that 1 minute is better than nothing and I can work up to deeper meditation slowly. I like your idea of post-workout meditation. That very well may work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey rachel! so glad to hear you trying it! and trust me, i know how hard it is to tame "monkey mind" and actually quiet our thoughts... but we can do it! and you're right, one minute is a great start. post-workout really works well with me because it totally helps clear my mind and relieve stress/worry. gives me a clean slate. keep it up and let me know how it goes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete